Aluminum and Copper

Mining News Pro - BHP Group, the world’s biggest miner, posted a 2% decline in full-year profit and declared a record final dividend on Tuesday.

Mining News Pro - MMC Norilsk Nickel PJSC is soliciting pitches from banks to participate in an initial public offering of its Russian copper mine, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mining News Pro - Canada’s Ivanhoe Mines (TSX:IVN) has received a second major strategic investment of C$612 million (about $490m) from its largest shareholder, China’s state-owned CITIC Metal, that will be used towards speeding up construction of a giant copper mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Mining News Pro - Zambia’s President Edgar Lungu met with the chairman of Vedanta Resources to discuss the disputed liquidation of its Konkola CopperMines, a statement issued by the Zambian State House said on Wednesday.

Mining News Pro - Machines are taking over a giant Chilean copper mine, replacing about a third of the workforce as owner Codelco struggles to keep its title as the world’s largest producer of the metal.

Mining News Pro - Copper exports from the port of Matarani have resumed after anti-mining protests that had blocked key infrastructure in the country’s southern copper belt eased over the weekend, a spokeswoman for the port operator said on Tuesday.

Mining News Pro - While it is a known fact that electric vehicles (EVs) use about four times more copper than gasoline-powered vehicles, short-term demand for the metal won’t come from the car industry, but from the charging stations and related infrastructure needed to support EV growth, a new study shows.

Mining News Pro - Chile’s Codelco, the world’s largest copper producer, has signed a 10-year loan agreement with Export Development Canada, the country’s export credit agency, which will allow the state-owned miner to access $300 million to finance an ambitious overhaul of its aging mines.

Mining News Pro - Glencore’s Mopani Copper Mines in Zambia has closed two shafts at its Nkana mine, the company said on Thursday, a move that an opposition leader said had led to 1,400 job losses.

Mining News Pro - Anti-mining protests in Peru have held up about $400 million in copper exports from some of the country’s top mines and blocked supplies from reaching their operations for nearly three weeks, the manager of port operator Tisur said on Thursday.

Mining News Pro - The price of copper was hammered on Friday amid an escalating trade war between the world’s two largest economies and a global economic slowdown.

Mining News Pro - Aztec Minerals (TSX-V:AZT) announced that it completed the terms of its earn-in and has exercised its option to acquire a 65% interest in the Cervantes porphyry gold-copper project in Sonora, Mexico from Kootenay Silver (TSX-V: KTN), which will retain the remaining 35% interest.

Mining News Pro - Australian private equity firm EMR Capital is considering selling its four copper mining assets through an initial public offering some time after 2019, looking to tap investor appetite for a copper miner as demand for the red metal is set to grow.

Mining News Pro - China’s “brewing” copper smelter bottleneck signals deepening supply worries for a metal market that’s already seen facing shortages this year.

Mining News Pro - Fitch Ratings issued a report this week stating that Rio Tinto’s (ASX, LON, NYSE:RIO) credit profile is not negatively affected by the company’s recent announcement related to the increased cost of the expansion project of its Oyu Tolgoi copper-gold-silver mine in Mongolia.

Mining News Pro - CEO of National Iranian Copper Industries Company said: “In the first four month of this year, our company succeeded to increase the cathode production by 26 percent. The production volume reached 90.5 thousand tons.

Mining News Pro - Glencore has started a new copper concentrates blending facility in Taiwan to mix high-arsenic containing ores with clean material, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Mining News Pro - Chilean copper miner Antofagasta Plc (LON:ANTO) reported an almost 22% increase in copper output in the three months leading up to to June 30, thanks mostly to better ore grades, particularly at Centinela.

Mining News Pro - Looking for a long-term bullish signal for copper? Then look no further than Rio Tinto’s struggles with the Oyu Tolgoi mine and expansion project in Mongolia.

Mining News Pro - Colombia is looking to become a notable producer of copper within the next few years, the head of the national mining agency said, in a bid to diversify its mining output without neglecting production of coal and gold.

In Picture