Gem and Diamond

Mining News Pro - A report published by Rapaport this week reveals that polished-diamond prices declined in April with 1- carat diamonds sliding 1% year-to-date and 3-carat diamonds falling by 6.1% year-to-date.

Mining News Pro - Lucara Diamond Corp has recovered one of the largest diamonds on record at the Karowe diamond mine in Botswana.

Mining News Pro - Lucara Diamond Corp., headquartered in Vancouver, has pulled another gigantic diamond from its Karowe mine. It is described as weighing 1,758 carats, variable quality near gem. It is the largest stone ever mined at Karowe.

Mining News Pro - In November 2015, Vancouver-based Lucara Diamond Corp. announced that it had recovered a 1,111-carat diamond – the second largest, gem quality stone ever found in the world – from its Karowe mine in Botswana. Following a country-wide contest, the stone was named Lesedi La Rona – meaning “our light”.

Mining News Pro - The world’s top diamond producer by output, Alrosa, announced this week the launching of diamond production at its Zarya pipe in Yakutia, eastern Russia.

Mining News Pro - Shares of Mountain Province Diamonds surged on Thursday after releasing its latest mineral resource estimates at the Faraday 2 kimberlite, located within the Kennady North project.

Mining News Pro - Shares in Canada’s Stornoway Diamond Corp. (TSX:SWY) fell on Tuesday after it announced that it would halt operations at its Renard 65 open pit mine, in the Canadian province of Quebec.

Mining News Pro - Vancouver-based Arctic Star Exploration has begun exploration at its 100% owned Timantti project in the northern part of this country near the township of Kuusamo.

Mining News Pro - The US Federal Trade Commission, which investigates allegations of deceptive advertising, said on Tuesday that it has sent warning letters to eight companies to insist that they distinguish in advertisements between diamonds that come from mines and those made in laboratories.

Mining News Pro - Lucapa Diamond Company has recovered a 55-carat diamond from its Mothae kimberlite plant in Lesotho, southern Africa.

Mining News Pro - Shares in Petra Diamonds jumped more than 8% on Friday after the miner announced it had dug up a 425.1 carat, D-colour, Type II gem quality diamond at its iconic Cullinan mine in South Africa.

Mining News Pro - Africa-focused Firestone Diamonds (LON:FDI) has put plans to extend the life of its 75%-owned Liqhobong mine in Lesotho on the back burner, saying that current market conditions don’t support the project.

Mining News Pro - The low price environment in which the Renard diamond mine began its operations two years ago is continuing to affect the company operating the Quebec-based mine, with Stornoway Diamonds ending 2018 in the red.

Mining News Pro - For more than 15 years, the diamond industry has been telling the world about a looming shortage of gems. Instead, demand has been stubbornly underwhelming, and the miners have done a wonderful job of digging more and more stones.

Mining News Pro - A Hong Kong-based developer of tech systems for detecting lab-grown, imitation and treated diamonds has created a new device aimed at amplifying the range of detectable merchandise to include all rough and polished stones in the lower yellowish-to-light-brown colour ranges.

Mining News Pro - Arctic Star Exploration of Vancouver has begun this year’s exploration program at the 40% owned Diagras joint venture diamond property near Lac des Gras. Margaret Lake Diamonds holds the remaining 60% and is the project operator.

Mining News Pro - Gemfields on Monday confirmed that it had posted a $60.4-million net loss for the year ended December 31, 2018, compared with a $45.1-million profit in 2017.

Mining News Pro - The world`s top diamond producer by output, Alrosa, ran an experiment at its Zapolyarnaya pipe, which is a part of the Verkhne-Munskoye deposit in the west of Yakutia, and found that the area has the potential to become one of its richest in large diamonds deposits.

Mining News Pro - Botswana`s Debswana Diamond Mining, a joint venture between De Beers and the southern Africa country`s government, have awarded Thiess’ subsidiary CIMIC a $1.2-billion contract to extend the lifespan of their Jwaneng mine.

Mining News Pro - The world`s top diamond producer by output, Alrosa, published this week an updated estimate of its Joint Ore Reserves Committee or JORC reserves and resources.

In Picture